Code of Conduct
The Board of Directors of Weston Little League & Softball have implemented the following Baseball & Softball Parent Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents in supporting their children in sports. Parents should read and understand this prior to their children participating in our league.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
TRUSTWORTHINESS • RESPECT • RESPONSIBILITY • FAIRNESS • CARING • GOOD CITIZENSHIP
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these six pillars of character.
I THEREFORE AGREE:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guest) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and my demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice, or other sporting event.
- I (and my guest) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing, taunting, refusing to shake hands, or using profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of the personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
Adopted by the Weston Little League & Softball Board of Directors
October 2, 2016